Wednesday, November 23, 2011

THANKSGIVING

Happy Thanksgiving! I work tomorrow, the real day, so Spencer and I decided to celebrate on Sunday, instead. (Yes, the hospital offers a free turkey dinner for employees, which is very generous. But...shoveling down canned turkey, canned green beans, and cardboard mashed potatoes between med passes and bed baths just didn't cut it for me).
So we invited over Spencer's cousin and his friend. 4--it seemed like a reasonable number for our apartment. It eventually grew to 7, which made for cozy quarters and some creative seating, but also for a lot of fun. We had Andrew, Paul, and Lizzie Early (all Spencer's cousin) and Andrew's friend, Mona, with her niece, Anisha.
Thanks to my sister, Martha, for her AWESOME recipes and to Lizzie who sat on the rocking chair since we only own 4 chairs. (I also have to brag about my creativity: you can see the size of our table and of our kitchen. There was no way we would be able to serve all the food we had off the table or out of our little kitchen. So, I dressed up our ironing board with a table cloth and did buffet style. Not bad, huh?)
While we were eating, Spencer asked us all to name something for which we are grateful. I was so busy making sure everyone was getting fed, etc., that I never said mine. As cheesy as it sounds, I am so grateful for Spencer because he makes nights like that one not only possible, but so fun. From the shopping to looking up recipes to carving the turkey to chatting around the table, even while doing the dishes, he was as excited as I've ever seen him. It would be such a bummer to have a spouse who didn't love traditions and holidays as much as I do! You're the best, Spencer J!
I hope y'all enjoy your holiday as much as I did!

2 comments:

  1. i think i loved it as much as you! someday we should get two ironing boards

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the time you update your blog you can write about this year's Thanksgiving!. Seriously though, did you ever think you would be 7-8 months pregnant this thanksgiving, next thanksgiving you will almost have a 1 year old.... time just flies and changes so fast!

    ReplyDelete