Sunday, May 22, 2011

Marital Advice

Day before yesterday I had a patient who told me he had been married for 66 years. "We met when she was 13 and I was 17--she was 'the girl next door.'" The wife, holding his hand, piped in, "We just knew as soon as we met that it was gonna be. But we had to wait until I graduated from high school. So we got married when i was 16." I asked them what the secret was. They looked at me with blank stares for a few seconds. Then he said, "Well, you just love each other, I guess." Then the wife piped in with some more advice about reading the bible, letting your husband be head of the household, about knowing when to speak and when to stay silent, etc. But I loved that piece of advice: you just love each other, I guess. I intend to follow that bit of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment